Breathe easy! We’ve put together a comprehensive list of answers to frequently asked questions about mold exposure and treatment. Call us today for expert mold testing and removal services in your area.
What is mold and should I be scared?
The organisms we call mold and mildew that usually appear as black, gray, or green spots on roofs, walls, ceilings, and floors are really members of a large diverse group call the “Fungi Kingdom.” There are more than 100,000 known species of fungi found thriving under various environmental conditions worldwide and anticipated millions more that are not known or identified. These organisms need only a nutrient source to thrive (wood, metal, fuel, concrete, anything carbon based) and moisture. Do not be scared – be informed! The Fungi Kingdom lives in harmony with humans, the Animal Kingdom, when in a controlled state, each having their own place in the world.
How do I get rid of mold?
It is difficult to get rid of all molds and mold spores. It is also dangerous for the property owner to use chemicals, such as bleach, on visible mold colonies. Why? Because there is always a balance in nature, both mold and bacteria. When a product, such as bleach, is used, it kills only those species vulnerable to bleach, leaving the other species of mold and bacteria without competition and thus, out-of-control.
What causes mold to develop?
Mold requires nutrients, water, oxygen and favorable temperatures to grow. Nutrients for mold are present in dead organic material, such as wood, paper or fabrics. Mold can also derive nutrients from some synthetic products, such as paints and adhesives. Mold requires moisture, although some mold species can obtain that moisture from air when the relative humidity is above 70%. Many molds thrive at normal indoor temperatures. Few if any molds are able to grow below 40 F or above 100 F.
Does mold affect everyone the same way?
No. Some individuals have a genetic makeup that puts them at risk for developing allergies to mold. People who have an allergy to mold, especially if they have asthma, can become ill from exposure to a small amount of mold. These differences between individuals contribute to the difficult question of determining safe exposure limits for mold.
How much mold exposure is harmful?
No one knows the answer to this question for several reasons. Individuals are very different with respect to the amount of mold exposure they can tolerate. Children under the age of one may be more susceptible to the effects of some molds than other individuals. Measuring or estimating exposure levels is very difficult.
What is hidden mold?
You may suspect the presence of hidden mold if a building smells moldy or acid-like, even though you cannot see the source. You may know there has been water damage and residents may be reporting health problems or symptoms. Mold can hide in places, such as the back side of drywall, wallpaper, or paneling, the topside of ceiling tiles, or the underside of carpets and pads. For example, removal of wallpaper, or a sudden decrease in humidity can lead to a massive release of spores if mold is growing on the underside of the paper.
What if the report reveals problems?
PES will provide its clients with a written report interpreting the laboratory analysis and include suggestions for mold control. If mold problems are identified, PES will recommend prevention and remedial procedures.
How are the products applied?
The products we use are applied in a number of ways. Most common is the use of an airless sprayer to treat the interior space. We also incorporate the use of foggers to reach hidden and expansive interior spaces. Finally, where appropriate, we apply the products by hand to ensure a perfect and safe application. In addition, we incorporate a carpet extraction machine for use on carpeted surfaces when applicable.
Are the products you use safe?
Yes, except to mold! The products we use are peroxide and water-based, so they are very safe. They are non-toxic, non-flammable and friendly to the environment. Products are based on a natural way to fight mold. The trick is to remove the existing mold, and then to deny new mold spores the organic nutrients required to survive. Our products are proprietary and have been approved for use in hospitals, schools and universities, commercial, public, and government facilities.
Do you make a mess?
No, we make every effort to keep the work areas being treated clean during the application. We will leave your space equal to or better than the start of the project. There are no waste products from our method and no destruction to your property or disruption to your life as is found in the ‘tear-out’ remediation option.
What is your warranty?
For new construction, where we are able to treat the building structure, we offer an industry best 50-year limited warranty against significant mold growth. For existing homes and buildings, we offer an unprecedented 30-year warranty against significant mold growth. As of June 1, 2018, Palmetto Environmental Solutions has started providing 12-month mold treatment warranties for all mold remediation projects.
How does Anabec work?
Anabec is an active surfactant specifically designed for porous and non-porous building materials that can hold and grow the more serious species of mold and bacteria associated with indoor air quality issues. It is intended to remove the contamination from its nutrient source.
Why is it a two-step system?
Every remediation job is different. Some customers can just use the Anabec to remove the contamination. In some jobs, both products are necessary. Like washing and waxing your car surface, we want to do that to porous fibers of building materials in various circumstances.
How long will the products last?
The two products have been designed for longevity. They were put into a system to make sure that the building will have no more moisture intrusion problems. As long as the moisture is controlled in a building, the Anabec product coupled with the Microbial Shield can last for years.